Marketing Forums                      

Welcome to the fastest-growing internet marketing forums!

Go Back   Marketing Forums > Business Corner > General Business Discussion

General Business Discussion General forum for business related issues. Includes topics like e-commerce and customer related issues.

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
hoolboo

Referrals: 0
hoolboo is on a distinguished road
Default Training vs. practicing--which is better?

I will not claim to be an expert in web design but I have a passion for it. Whenever I have a website to do, it's all I can think about: design, layout, colors, ways to improve it, etc.

So I came across a training program whereby if I take the course and pass the two exams I'll be a Certified Webmaster I. So from a hiring point of view, which would be better? Having some sort of certification on paper that proves what you know? Or actual examples via a portfolio of sites? What will give a client more piece of mind? Or a website company looking to hire someone?

I don't want to get bogged down in a lot of training. I'd rather be putting my efforts into actually working on sites, however, if you are looking to improve your skills and add value to your clients' sites maybe some structured training wouldn't hurt?

Any thoughts?

hoolboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Jim Gillum
Super Moderator

Referrals: 8
Jim Gillum is on a distinguished road

Would you go to a doctor who did not have a degree......even though he "seemed" to have the right answers?

Customers like paper to prove your expertize.....IMO

Please read the Rules
Jim Gillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Casy Bing

Casy Bing is on a distinguished road

In this fast running world, waiting for being trained and then starting the real work won't do. If you need to bang, better you start implementing & practicing. I know many big examples who have attained success through their courage, one such great personality is <Removed> is the President and CEO of<Removed> and is a successful business man committed to bringing the best organic growth for his clients. <Removed>

<Mod note.....Reads like an ad....not a legitimate response>

Last edited by Jim Gillum; 02-23-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Casy Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
wadeinni

wadeinni is on a distinguished road

While I agree with you Jim on the doctor point, that analogy can't always apply to many fields out there. Yes, I would definitely also not go to someone who knows a lot about law to represent me in court if ever necessary, you need Bar certification for that, but over half of the best tech and IT people I've ever met never went to college or didn't finish. Most learned from hard practice, or work for others gaining from the bottom up. Technology, especially the web is very fluid and always changing, not something that is kept up in real-time in certification programs. I know guys making close to six figure salaries who learned their trade either on their own or through practice and experience.

So while a piece of paper from a training program is great, it doesn't tell me anything about whether that person is equipped to work for me or anyone else in a real world hands on scenario with the exception of professions like medicine, law, and so on.

Erookie - Startup Business Advice
wadeinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Jim Gillum
Super Moderator

Referrals: 8
Jim Gillum is on a distinguished road

Although I do not totally disagree with you.....
And I too have seen great performers with out paper.....

In the real world, when you are marketing yourself, prospective clients will be easier to close when you can show them the "expert" paper....

And a few weeks of training does not compare to four years of college...))

Please read the Rules
Jim Gillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Georgefelix

Georgefelix is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is good to avoid intense training on the fact you know because once you learn all kinds of designing and know different level of creating a site, then your creativity to discover things will fade away. Hence learn the basics and develop from what you know all by yourselves.

Georgefelix is offline   Reply With Quote