Marketing Forums                      

Welcome to the fastest-growing internet marketing forums!

Go Back   Marketing Forums > Business Corner > Domain Names

Domain Names For discussion related to registration, transfers, reselling, etc.

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
tanay46

Referrals: 0
tanay46 is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing a Domain Name

A very essential although quick task for a succesful online campaign!

Here are some ueful tips and faqs to help you choose the right domain:-
1- The domain name should match your brand name ( if any)

2- The domain should be named after the website

3- Short or Long domains ? Well this depends on your site. if you have a good short form, use it otherwise go for the long version( not too long though).

4- Hyphenated names? well theres been much debate about them? SHould you use them or avoid them??
Advantage :
Well, it does help a bit in seo, if your keywords are seperated by hyphens
disadvantage: people might forget to type the hyphens and land up at another site.
Personally,if you can try to avoid them. However there are certain situations where the non hyphen domain is already taken or where you need to have the hyphen. Also, if in the non hyphenated version, two different words which go back to back end with and begin with the same letter, a hyphen will be prefereed
Example
besttimes.com --- naa
best-times.com --- yaa!

5. .com,.net or .org? Probably the most asked question and the question which brings in the most different answers!
When .com's arent available people ask if they try for another .com or use a .net
well 1st of all, if your site caters to a specific area, use country-specific domains like .co.uk and .co.in etc.
My answer to the .com question would be this, since browsers give .com preference and people are more used to .com ( think about it!) u should try to get - whatyouwant.com but if you dont, your better off taking whatyouwant.net or .org rather than somewhatyouwant.com ...

6. And now to end it all i present a software i recently discovered. your choice of domain not available ?? looking for alternatives ?? use nameboy it finds good alternatives if the Basically it will give you domain ideas
Nameboy.com
"Find domain names, creative domain names and domain names search. Nameboy has been called the ultimate domain name maker, domain name picker, domain name chooser, domain name search, website name generator and the best way to find domain name and register domain names."

Hope you enjoyed reading my article!!
tanay46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
CBQ Lou
CBQ & Sakura Support

Referrals: 2
CBQ Lou is on a distinguished road

Very good tips

CashBack Queen & Sakura PTR Support Contact
PM me if you need anything
CBQ Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
flaco

Referrals: 1
flaco is on a distinguished road

I always try to get the .com if at all possible, they have actual done studies and if people do not know what the ending to the domain is they usually type in .com. Buying both the hypenathed and non-hypenated version. Redirect the non to the one that is, that way if you are loosing visitors you can make sure they are redirected to the right place.
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Ross

Ross is on a distinguished road

Nice tips.

When i am picking one nine times out of ten i have to change my original idea as the .com is always taken so that knocks me back a step but i try to get one witch will most suit my site.

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
forumrating

forumrating is on a distinguished road

most important is to choose domain with popular keywords which have more search counts,
that generates you lot of traffic, also they should be easy to remember and good names without much of confusions.
forumrating is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
juanaballerina

juanaballerina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanay46 View Post
A very essential although quick task for a succesful online campaign!

Here are some ueful tips and faqs to help you choose the right domain:-
1- The domain name should match your brand name ( if any)

2- The domain should be named after the website

3- Short or Long domains ? Well this depends on your site. if you have a good short form, use it otherwise go for the long version( not too long though).

4- Hyphenated names? well theres been much debate about them? SHould you use them or avoid them??
Advantage :
Well, it does help a bit in seo, if your keywords are seperated by hyphens
disadvantage: people might forget to type the hyphens and land up at another site.
Personally,if you can try to avoid them. However there are certain situations where the non hyphen domain is already taken or where you need to have the hyphen. Also, if in the non hyphenated version, two different words which go back to back end with and begin with the same letter, a hyphen will be prefereed
Example
besttimes.com --- naa
best-times.com --- yaa!

5. .com,.net or .org? Probably the most asked question and the question which brings in the most different answers!
When .com's arent available people ask if they try for another .com or use a .net
well 1st of all, if your site caters to a specific area, use country-specific domains like .co.uk and .co.in etc.
My answer to the .com question would be this, since browsers give .com preference and people are more used to .com ( think about it!) u should try to get - whatyouwant.com but if you dont, your better off taking whatyouwant.net or .org rather than somewhatyouwant.com ...

6. And now to end it all i present a software i recently discovered. your choice of domain not available ?? looking for alternatives ?? use nameboy it finds good alternatives if the Basically it will give you domain ideas
Nameboy.com
"Find domain names, creative domain names and domain names search. Nameboy has been called the ultimate domain name maker, domain name picker, domain name chooser, domain name search, website name generator and the best way to find domain name and register domain names."

Hope you enjoyed reading my article!!
Thank you for your tips. I'll try it.
juanaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
ray48021

ray48021 is on a distinguished road

I would say .com, org, net names would be first.

I thinks a keyword rich domain is a must

ray48021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
link loader

link loader is on a distinguished road

good tips i'll try..
link loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
DarkAngel
Banned

DarkAngel is on a distinguished road

I always choose domain name with service keyword. It will to get good ranking with the keyword.
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Ron S

Ron S is on a distinguished road

Important update! In addition to the familiar top-level domains such as .com, .org, and .net, ICANN's Board has introduce a new domain name system: internet address names will be able to end with almost any word in any language, offering organizations around the world the opportunity to market their brand, products, community or cause in new and innovative ways. In other words, you can now own a domain name with the suffix .yourbrand if you are willing to pay for it.

http://www.dobizon9.com
DoBizOn9 guide you how to do business online and how to make money online.
Include online business models & how to build a website for your online business.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote