Marketing Forums                      

Welcome to the fastest-growing internet marketing forums!

Go Back   Marketing Forums > Marketing / Making Money > Email Marketing Forum

Email Marketing Forum The email marketing forum is for discussing topics related to email marketing and online services / offline software that allows you to carry out email marketing campaigns. This can include autoresponders and broadcast emailing systems.

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
TheMilkMan

Referrals: 0
TheMilkMan is on a distinguished road
Default A Few Numbers on My First Campaign & Questions

I am new here and new to email marketing. I sell videos to offline businesses.

Currently I use PHPlist to send emails. I host through HostGator. I use this service because it gives me the ability to import emails, won't penalize me for bounces, email recipients can easily unsubscribe, and I pay one price for 1 subscriber or 1 million subscribers.

Before I used PHPlist I used masked Gmail accounts. This was horrible because I couldn't track anything. And my accounts would be blocked multiple times a day. Annoying.

With Gmail I sent around 400 emails at a time every 6 hours. The only real stats I have are that I was able to get 1-2 new clients per send.

Now I am using PHPlist. Now I can track opens and click-throughs to my sales page.

Here is what I do:
- Scrape industry specific directory websites for emails.
- Import those emails to PHPlist.
- Send industry targeted email promoting my video services. I throttle it so that I only send about 450 emails an hour. This is to not raise any red flags with my server. (as per instructions from HostGator support)

I have hardly started to send (674 emails sent) but I can already see problems.

My stats are:
674 Sent
215 Views = 31.9% Open Rate
44 Clicks = 6.53% Click-Thru to my sales page
8 Bounces
1 Unsubscribe

Problems:
1 Returned Email
0 Calls
0 New Clients

This time my email does not have the pricing breakdown of my videos in the body. In the past I have noticed that most people who are somewhat interested never even clicked through to my sales page. They either call directly or email me with questions.

From this information I believe I need to add pricing back into the body of the email and also make my sales page better.

This may be borderline spamming but out of about 6,500 emails sent I have literally only received 6 people who were not happy with me. With them I have taken them off the list and replied back with an apology. To which 4 replied and were very pleasant in their response.

Do you guys have any ideas or do I really just need to send a lot more out to get a better idea of what I should do?

Thank you,
The Milk Man
TheMilkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
EmailKarma

Referrals: 0
EmailKarma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilkMan View Post
Here is what I do:
- Scrape industry specific directory websites for emails.
- Import those emails to PHPlist.
- Send industry targeted email promoting my video services. I throttle it so that I only send about 450 emails an hour. This is to not raise any red flags with my server. (as per instructions from HostGator support)

<snip>

This may be borderline spamming but out of about 6,500 emails sent I have literally only received 6 people who were not happy with me. With them I have taken them off the list and replied back with an apology. To which 4 replied and were very pleasant in their response.
Harvesting email addresses and sending them bulk messages is one of the leading definitions of Spamming.

Change how you collect email addresses and then try again.

~ Matt V
EmailKarma.net: It's not the size of your list, it's how you use it!

My profiles: G+, Twitter, about.me
EmailKarma is offline   Reply With Quote