Marketing Forums                      

Welcome to the fastest-growing internet marketing forums!

Go Back   Marketing Forums > Marketing / Making Money > Email Marketing Forum

Email Marketing Forum The email marketing forum is for discussing topics related to email marketing and online services / offline software that allows you to carry out email marketing campaigns. This can include autoresponders and broadcast emailing systems.

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
slash75

Referrals: 0
slash75 is on a distinguished road
Default Email Marketing Software

Is there email marketing software available that will allows us to import large email lists from our member database even though they never opted in to receive email communications from our organization? The email addresses were provided to us mainly through registration forms - both paper and online. Neither stated that they were signing up or opting in to receive emails from us however. I am just trying to find out our options in this case and what we can and can't do. The service we are currently using will not allow us to email anyone without them opting in first even though they emails clearly allow anyone to unsubscribe at any time. Any insight here would be great. Thanks.
slash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
JimD

Referrals: 1
JimD is on a distinguished road

Most ESPs (email service providers) will not allow you to use a list which is not 100 percent opt-in. That's because once you start mailing to this list you will generate massive complaints to ISPs and they'll block you.

CAN-SPAM has loopholes which you can drive a truck through, but on the other side of those loopholes is usually a cliff.

Regards,
jim

Community Manager @ GetResponse email marketing. Check out the GetResponse Blog here!
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
slash75

Thanks Jim. That is what I thought. I would prefer that all subscribers opt in and did not think this was a good practice but was asked to investigate.
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
JimD

Just to clarify something here. At the end of the day, you are responsible for yourself. ESPs do what they can with such things as double-opt in. Double opt-in means when you upload the list the ESP will send a confirmation email asking each person if they wish to recieve emails from you. If the person does not confirm, they will be dropped from the list. This is one way how we protect ourselves and our customers.

Now, you freely admit that the list is not opt-in. This means you'll have a very high opt-out rate and likely generate some complaints. The question here shouldn't be how you can do this, but if you should do this. Just something to think about.

Regards,
jim

Community Manager @ GetResponse email marketing. Check out the GetResponse Blog here!
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
slash75

Yes, I understand and agree that is should not be done. I am being asked to do this against even though I have recommended against it and do not think it is a good practice.
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
poppyclover

poppyclover is on a distinguished road

If you try a free downloadable program that sends through your email program, you will likely get blocked as spam. Some companies like Constant Contactand a few others allow email messages for up to 250 people for free.

poppyclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
JimD

Quote:
Originally Posted by josefaryan View Post
If you've not stated/mentioned that your members are going to receive marketing communications from you at the time of their registration into your website, then you're not allowed to send communications to them (messages other than your website/service related are not good to send and may be considered as spam).
I'd like to clarify this statement just a bit for the OP's benefit.

It doesn't matter what the information is, if the person didn't opt in for email from you then don't send them email and that includes website communications. For example, when you registered here you were asked to opt in for email notifications from the site admins. I think that's what you were saying Jose .

Also, if we are talking about CAN-SPAM, it's not a case of it not being allowed...it's a case of it not being a good idea. CAN-SPAM allows you to do all sorts of things which you just shouldn't do. Keep in mind, that it's the ISPs and ESPs who guard the inbox and they will be the first to respond to user complaints and not the legislation in question.

Regards,
jim

Unread 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Targetedemailmarketing

Targetedemailmarketing is on a distinguished road

My company allows you to do Email prospecting and sending to a purchased list or a list that is not 100% your customers. Shoot me an email or give me a call at 630 352 3470 dpalma@hypermail.com If you have any questions.
Targetedemailmarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Targetedemailmarketing

Targetedemailmarketing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash75 View Post
Is there email marketing software available that will allows us to import large email lists from our member database even though they never opted in to receive email communications from our organization? The email addresses were provided to us mainly through registration forms - both paper and online. Neither stated that they were signing up or opting in to receive emails from us however. I am just trying to find out our options in this case and what we can and can't do. The service we are currently using will not allow us to email anyone without them opting in first even though they emails clearly allow anyone to unsubscribe at any time. Any insight here would be great. Thanks.

I can Definitely help you out with that. I would need a little more detail though.
Targetedemailmarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
eTail Alliance

eTail Alliance is on a distinguished road

You can import lists into most systems, but when you get that inevitable high bounce, unsubscribe and spam rate, you will get shut down pretty swiftly.

There really is no better way than building a quality list. A quality list of 100 engaged relevant people is better than 10,000 spam names.

eTail Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote